Unfortunately, the above bit from Calvin and Hobbes does not apply to me. I am not perfect, and so I set myself a few goals in the form of New Year's resolutions each year.
My estimate is that I succeed through the month of March on about one out of 10 such pledges.
Not a good record. Perseverance is a fine quality but, alas, a challenging one. At least for me.
This year I am sharing my resolutions in the hope that friends will nudge me, nicely, when I fall down on the job.
1. At least one time in 2015, I will try a new recipe that is not labeled "Fast" or "Easy."
2. I will avoid using curse words except in cases of extreme provocation by malicious or
3. I will try again to finish reading Moby Dick.
4. I will be more selective in my entertainment choices:
I will not go to movies featuring Adam Sandler or Keanu Reeves. If I attend a movie
starring Keira Knightley or Russell Brand, I will keep my opinions to myself at least
until the final credits begin to roll.
I will not attend any Broadway shows that are musical revivals, remakes of old
television programs or stagings of tales from the Disney vault.
I will watch no more than one English costume drama series on PBS.
5. Four words: More vegetables, less candy.
6. I will turn on my cellphone more regularly. Possibly four or five times a week.
7. I will be a kinder person, a better friend and a more careful listener.
This has been a good year for me, and I hope for you. Happy 2015.