Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Resolutions


Bill Watterson


Unfortunately, the above bit from Calvin and Hobbes does not apply to me.  I am not perfect, and so I set myself a few goals in the form of New Year's resolutions each year.

My estimate is that I succeed through the month of March on about one out of 10 such pledges.

Not a good record.  Perseverance is a fine quality but, alas, a challenging one.  At least for me.

This year I am sharing my resolutions in the hope that friends will nudge me, nicely, when I fall down on the job.


------

1.  At least one time in 2015, I will try a new recipe that is not labeled "Fast" or "Easy."

2.  I will avoid using curse words except in cases of extreme provocation by malicious or
     indifferent bureaucrats.

3.  I will try again to finish reading Moby Dick.

4.  I will be  more selective in my entertainment choices:
 
        I will not go to movies featuring Adam Sandler or Keanu Reeves.  If I attend a movie
        starring Keira Knightley or Russell Brand, I will keep my opinions to myself at least
        until the final credits begin to roll.

        I will not attend any Broadway shows that are musical revivals, remakes of old
        television programs or stagings of tales from the Disney vault.

        I will watch no more than one English costume drama series on PBS.

5.  Four words:  More vegetables, less candy.

6.  I will turn on my cellphone more regularly.  Possibly four or five times a week.

7.  I will be a kinder person, a better friend and a more careful listener.


------

This has been a good year for me, and I hope for you.  Happy 2015.








               







1 comment:

  1. Love these resolutions. If you successfully finish Moby Dick, I will pick it up for my first attempt.

    ReplyDelete