Friday, January 2, 2015

Suspicious Dairy Products



Would you trust this cheese?


(As I prepare for another trip across the country, I am determined not to repeat errors I made on a similar journey last year.)

Last evening, we packed for our flight east.  As we were finishing, the Significant Other noticed two cups of yogurt and a good-sized chunk of Gouda cheese left in the refrigerator.  This morning he gave me the yogurt to add to my doggie bag from the previous evening's dinner.  He wrapped the Gouda in a Ziploc and placed that in his carry-on.

Surprisingly, both raised a stir with the TSA at the airport.

As I put the doggie bag avec yogurt on the X-ray line, I was told that yogurt was contraband.  And the security agent was absolutely right:  Yogurt is mostly liquid, and only the smallest containers of liquids are allowed on commercial jets today.

"You're right," I said.

The security agent told me he would remove the yogurt.  He put it in a trash can that was already filled with a great many bottles of suspicious water.  My doggie bag proceeded through the checkpoint.

Later, when I picked up my clothing and the doggie bag at the other end of the line, I found that the TSA agent had removed only one cup of yogurt.  The second remained in my plastic bag.

Maybe I was in a felonious mood.  Whatever.   I just kept the yogurt.  Later the SO ate it during our flight.

But think of the danger:  That cup of yogurt could have downed an enormous airliner!

--

The story does not end there.  Remember, the Significant Other was traveling through the TSA line with a large wedge of Gouda cheese.

Here, the TSA did its job.  After the SO's carry-on went through the X-ray machine, he and it were pulled over.  The carry-on was inspected carefully, and the cheese was discovered.   Both went through the security line again.

This time the Gouda passed.  We reunited and boarded our jet.

Later I found a big tube of sunblock that I had not remembered when I went through the TSA line.  Anyone who knows me can attest that I am a notorious scatterbrain; in this case, I simply forgot.

--

Happily, we arrived safely at our destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment