Friday, March 14, 2014

Fashion Report: Eyeglasses

Styles in eyeglasses, like all styles, are shifting.

Ten years ago, eyeglasses mostly looked like this:





You remember the look:  wire frames, smallish lenses, sometimes just lenses with wire arms and nosepiece.  All very simple.



Five years ago, these were the looks:





As shown above, in 2009, wire frames were still fashionable, but larger metallic frames were appearing, as were frames with tortoise accents.  For the most part, smallish lenses, usually rectangular, remained popular.



Here are some looks I have been seeing this winter in Los Angeles:




  
The themes are more glass and bigger, thicker frames in various shapes, sometimes tortoise but more often black.

Designers of men's glasses seem to have started with the classic Ray-Ban Wayfarer and proceeded from there.  As would be expected, women's glasses come in more shapes and colors.


Tom Ford, always a style-setter, has come up with many new looks  Some examples on models:





    


I don't know where the woman below got her spectacles, but they are definitely the look of the moment -- big, squarish and black.





Finally, here is one new eyeglass style that I cannot recommend.  I am not interested in wearing it and would prefer not to see it on my friends:


3 comments:

  1. The second to last set of specs on the Ellen-Barkin lookalike busted my gut. My last set of driving glasses though are in this family. The largest mens pair I could locate in Costco......

    What I am missing here are the brightly colored glasses I see recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's an ironic retro-'70s trend. Argo and American Hustle have been big hits the last couple of year. One thing about the big aviator-style glasses (as opposed to the skinny hipster styles) is that they have a much larger surface area, which is beneficial for us fogeys who wear bifocals or multifocal lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clyde is so right. I now sport a largish pair of round spectacles with invisible bifocals in tortoise. Last week alone, two 20-somethings complimented them. Bigger is definitely better.

    ReplyDelete