Sunday, May 3, 2015

Keith Jarrett


My favorite pianist is Keith Jarrett. He has played several instruments, but he was born for the piano.  His parents wisely enrolled him in lessons when he was three years old, and the romance, if that is the word, has continued ever since. 

I studied piano for eight years, long enough to appreciate genius but to understand that I never, ever could approach such heights. 

Jarrett has spent most of his career in jazz but has recorded also in pop and classical.  All of his work is worth a listen.

I particularly love this 1986 rendition of "My Funny Valentine" from a concert in France, which comes across well even on small computer speakers. His fellow musicians, bassist Gary Peacock and drummer Jack DeJohnette, also are at the top of their fields.






No comments:

Post a Comment