Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Busy Day



A task this morning took well longer than it should have, and I had no time left to think up something to write.  (Every time I hear someone say that writing is difficult, I think to myself, this is a person who doesn't do many home maintenance projects.)

In lieu of a thoughtful post, I pass along a piece of an old George Carlin performance.  I like the way he makes people laugh at words and phrases that make no sense.

Lately I have been hearing and seeing a lot of one silly phrase.  It is "lag behind," as in "The economy is lagging behind expectations."

Is there any other way to lag?  You certainly can't "lag forward."  But the second word, "behind," seems to have attached itself permanently to "lag," which would stand just as well on its own.

Go figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment