Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Cheaters, Cheaters Everywhere




At the risk of sounding judgmental (the greatest secular sin of our times), I'm going to share a little story.

I had made an appointment for a carpet cleaning company to send a worker out this morning to shampoo the downstairs rugs.

When the fellow arrived, I told him I would like him also to clean a stairway carpet that had accumulated a few spots.

"Okay," he said.  "That will be between you and me."

(Translation: "You will pay me cash for the extra work, and I won't report it to my boss.")

"No," I said.  "You have to put all your work on the bill." I find myself saying things like this a lot these days.

He didn't put up a fight.  He cleaned the carpets and wrote up a receipt for everything he had done. I paid him, and he left.

I don't think this guy thought he was doing anything wrong.  Effectively, he was proposing to use his employer's equipment -- and time that his employer was paying for -- to cut a side deal for himself.  

He's happy to steal from the person who gave him a job.  He's a thief. 

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?







No comments:

Post a Comment